My dad is a pretty picky eater. He loves his pepsi and his OJ, his frozen blueberry waffles and his Mexican food. He’s almost 60 years old and is a bit set in his ways. So it’s been kind of fun for me to sneak in some healthier dinners for him. Last night I tried sneaking this salad in and it didn’t go too well… He said he didn’t like the lettuce because it tasted like dirt. My mom and I explained to him that it was arugula and that he has had arugula before and liked it. I told him it was likely the beets that he was tasting because they have an earthy flavor, although I definitely wouldn’t say that they taste like dirt.
So he picked all the beets out and ate the salad without them while telling me that I could give him that salad every day and he would be healthier but he would be dead. And then he said that it would be self imposed hospice. My mom and I were laughing so hard that we almost spit our beets out of our mouths. Apparently my dad has a dramatic side… Maybe that’s where I get it from?
Now that story probably doesn’t make this recipe sound too appealing, but I promise you it’s delicious. As long as you aren’t one of those people who think beets taste like dirt of course. My mom and I, both beet lovers, absolutely loved it. The earthiness of the roasted beets combined with the creaminess of the goat cheese, the tang of the dressing, the bitterness of the red onion, and the sweetness of the candied walnuts is such an incredible combination.
Ya, it takes a little bit of time to prepare. But if you prep the beets and the walnuts ahead of time it will take no time at all to throw everything together. Just leave the dressing off if you aren’t going to eat the whole batch because it won’t last as long once the dressing has been added.
- For the beets:
- 3 medium beets
- 1Tbs olive oil
- For the candied walnuts:
- 1 Tbs ghee
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the salad:
- 5oz arugula (or other greens of choice)
- 2 oz goat cheese
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 batch roasted beets
- 1 batch candied walnuts
- 1 batch Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- For the beets: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat beets in oil, roughly 1 tsp per beet. Wrap beets individually in aluminum foil and place on baking sheet. Roast for about 45 to 60 minutes. Carefully unwrap the foil and pierce with fork to check for doneness. Let cool. Once cool, remove peel carefully with fingers and dice.
- For the candied walnuts: Melt ghee in cast iron skillet. Add remaining ingredients and stir continuously until the liquid is mostly evaporated and walnuts are coated, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan and spread onto parchment lined baking sheet to cool for an hour.
- For the salad: Top arugula with roasted beets, candied walnuts, crumbled goat cheese and sliced red onion. Pour dressing over top and enjoy.
What about you? Are you a beet lover or do you think they taste like dirt?
In vibrant health,